Sunday, May 12, 2013

Banana yeasted waffles


Once again, Mother's day comes!

Today, I prepared a lovely breakfast for my good-cook-mother. For one special day, honouring the woman of the house, the least I can do is to prepare a hearty and delicious breakfast.

So, on the breakfast menu: Banana yeasted waffles and freshly squeezed orange juice. I also just wanted to ask, does anyone squirm at the taste of bottled orange juice like me? It tastes completely different, bitter and with an off kind of taste. I've always hated drinking orange juice at  my school camps, and I just can't comprehend how people drink this daily. Freshly squeezed orange juice is the way to go!


I know the idea of yeasted waffles may sound a little weird to you, because I know it did to me. But if you're new to using yeast, this is a good starting point if you ask me. There's no fuss. Just throw the yeast in the mixture, let it rest in the fridge overnight. The next morning, you'll be surprised to see your mixture rised, and bubbly! And then all you gotta do is just pour it into your waffle maker. Do you see how Sunday morning breakfasts are easier for me or anyone,with preparation of the batter overnight? I have my usual morning run, and sometimes I just don't have the energy to whip up a pancake or waffle batter.

These were packed with bananas, and crisp! I also decided to eat it with some pomegranate seeds (my obsession), and with plentiful of pure maple syrup. My mum decided to eat it with some good old butter, bananas and maple syrup.

What did you do for Mother's day?


Banana yeasted waffles
Ingredients
4 tablespoons unsalted butter (56 g), melted
1 cup plus 2 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tbsp honey or brown sugar
1 and 1/2 tsp yeast
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 eggs, beaten lightly
1 cup mashed ripe banana (3 bananas)
3 tbsp sour cream or Greek yoghurt

Method:
1. In a small bowl, whisk together the butter, milk and vanilla. Set aside, the mixture should be warm, but not hot.
2. In another bowl, sift the flour and mix the brown sugar (if using), spices, yeast and salt.
3. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ones. Add the honey and whisk until smooth.
4. Stir in the beaten eggs. Cover the bowl loosely with some glad wrap/cling wrap, and refrigerate for at least 12 hours, and up to 24.
5. About 30 minutes before cooking the waffles, take the batter out of the fridge and let it come to room temperature slightly. It should be doubled in size, and the surface will be covered in bubbles.
5. When ready to begin, stir in the greek yoghurt or sour cream and add the mashed bananas, and mix until combined.
6. Heat your waffle iron, and cook the waffles, following your manufacturer's instruction.

* Leftovers can be frozen, and then reheated in a toaster or oven.
Adapted from Seven spoons

5 comments:

  1. That waffle looks really delicious.
    I've just started blogging, shall we follow each other to grow our blogs? let me know : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christy, followed you on Bloglovin :)

      Delete
  2. Yummy! They look so good! =) I agree with you, the flavor of freshly squeezed orange juice is completely different and way more tasty than the packed juices. I particularly love mixing carrots and oranges.
    I made vegan pancakes for my mom.
    Thanks for the comment you left on my blog!
    xo
    Gemma.

    www.cinnamongirldelights.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I've always thought that it was weird people liked drinking packaged orange juice.

      That sounds yum!Pancakes for a Mother's day breakfast are so delicious.
      Thanks for stopping by, you have a beautiful blog!

      Delete
  3. ahhh... I so envy your mom ;P
    My Mothers' day breakfast was postponed to ? (guess my daughter has forgotten all about it :( )

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, I really appreciate it!