Monday, April 8, 2013

Gozleme with spinach and cheese filling


So I have something to say; I have a serious obsession with flatbread. More specifically, Turkish flatbread.












Have you had that certain type of food that you tried for the very first time, something foreign and new to you? And the memory still sticks with your heart? Well, I'll never forget the first time I had a bite of chewy and warm flatbread in Bosnia (The Ottoman empire conquered Bosnia for a period of time). Then when there was a perpetual amount of flatbread given every single day during my trip in Turkey, my dream came true! I didn't like the food I had in Turkey though, because the tour gave us the exact same meal everyday, lunch and dinner: lentil soup, kebab with flatbread and some Turkish syrup-y cake. The only thing I really liked was the flatbread and the range of dips we were given. Next time I visit, I'll be sure to try the gems I've read about. Turkey is a magical country.


 Gozleme is a traditional Turkish savoury pastry dish, that is made of hand-rolled dough, and folded over with a variety of fillings.  It is sealed and cooked over a flat surface pan, like a griddle.

This is such an easy recipe, that does not require any yeast like most other recipes! Just let the dough rest for about half an hour, and you're good to go. I rolled mine a little thick, so it came out more puffy and not very thin, but I like it that way.

You can put any sort of filling whatever comes to your mind: minced meat, onions, mushrooms etc. I even read on the website that you could try experimenting with sweet fillings. I've put what I chose to use in my filling in the recipe.

The consistency of the bread is amazing, it has a crispy exterior with a soft and pillowy interior.
Carbs are a girl's frenemy/best friend; unfortunately fattening (most of the time, especially since it's consumed in a large quantity) but so satisfying! Oh and this is fried bread.. You heard that right. Fried bread is my favourite way to eat bread.. Roti canai, yau ja gwai, French toast and grilled cheese sandwiches..

What is your favourite type of bread to eat? And in what form do you like to eat it in?

Gozleme with spinach and cheese filling
*Serves four
Ingredients
200 g plain or Greek yoghurt + 2 tbsp more if the dough is dry *
Pinch of salt
200 g plain flour *
25 g whole wheat flour
25 g bread flour
3 tsp baking powder
+ olive oil for cooking

* I used Greek yoghurt, which worked really well. You can use sour cream too.
* You can use 250 g self-raising flour (without the baking powder) or plain flour (with the baking powder). You could probably do half whole wheat, half all purpose, but it really depends on your taste buds. It might also have a different texture.

Filling:
100 g baby spinach, chopped into small pieces
150 g feta cheese, crumbled (I used parmesan, because I ran out of feta cheese and it was delicious!) *
50 g mushrooms, chopped finely
100 g onions, chopped finely
1/2 tsp of garlic, minced
Olive oil for the pan

* You can use any cheese to your liking. Feta is commonly used, but I didn't have that on hand!
* I honestly didn't bother to measure the ingredients for the filling, it's not necessary. Just throw in as much or as little as you like.
Method:

For the dough
1. Pour yoghurt into a medium sized bowl, along with the salt. Sift flour into the dough. Add baking powder if you are not using self-raising flour.
2. Combine until you have a stiff dough. Knead the dough, until smooth and soft, and slightly sticky. Transfer to a clean bowl, greased with some olive oil and covered with cling wrap. Let it rest for 30 minutes.

Cooking the filling
1. Heat the pan with about a tablespoon of olive oil.
2. Cook the onions with the garlic until slightly brown, and then add mushrooms and spinach. Once you add the spinach, don't cook it for too long, about a minute or two is only needed.
3. Let the mixture cool, or pop it in the fridge for a short while.

Assembling
1. Sprinkle surface with flour. Divide the rested dough into 4 equal sized portions. Roll each piece of dough into a circle, or into whatever shape you desire. Roll out thinly, but not too thin.
2.  Place some of the mixture on one half of the circle, then sprinkle cheese over it. Season if needed. Fold the dough over, and seal the edges with a fork. Repeat the process with the remaining dough.
3. Heat the pan with about a tablespoon of olive oil.
4. Place the gozleme, and cook until base is golden. Once golden, flip it over.
5. Finish by squeezing a bit of lemon and brushing with melted butter if desired.

Adapted from Best recipes

4 comments:

  1. This looks great and easy to make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's really too easy to make, since there's only yoghurt and flour involved. And you can put any filling in, quite a versatile recipe.

      Delete
  2. Hey im turkish and we eat gozleme sooo much :) its so good to see that recipe here. But we make it with prepared dough what u can find in markets. Your gozleme looks amazing with that filling. But try mushroom and cheese filling,im sure u will like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love gozleme so much, I wish I could go back to Turkey to eat some more (and more flatbread!). Thank you, yes I love the mushroom and cheese filling! I also put onions with it as well :)

      Delete

Thank you for commenting, I really appreciate it!