Tuesday, November 6, 2012

French toast

I have discovered the wonderfulness of brioche. I had my first taste just recently when my oldest sister brought home some brioche from a French bakery in the city. I've been reading everywhere that it makes the best French toast. I couldn't agree any better!

The other times I've made French toast were with normal, bread slices; the ones I use for sandwiches. They were pretty ordinary. But brioche just takes it to a whole new level.  I'm also starting to conquer my fear of recipes involving yeast, so I can take on some cinnamon rolls, pizza and breads like challah and brioche.



I came up with my own French toast recipe, and I used an olive oil technique. I read on Cannella Vita's blog, about her technique of using olive oil instead of butter. I agree that it works better than normal butter. Plus, it's healthier than butter. I'll probably stick to this technique for French toast in the future. I used vanilla bean paste instead of normal vanilla essence because vanilla paste brings out the flavour a lot more.
Just a normal slice of wholemeal bread.
Top with strawberries, bananas, blueberries; whatever fruits you like! You can even slather on some Nutella (my personal favourite), peanut butter or just butter. And of course, honey or maple syrup.

French toast

Ingredients

3 eggs
1 tablespoon of sugar
1 tablespoon of wholemeal or regular flour
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 teaspoon of vanilla bean paste (or vanilla extract)
4 thick slices of bread ( brioche, normal bread, challah etc. I used brioche)
Olive oil for frying

1. Mix all of the ingredients together in a large bowl, using a whisk to beat the eggs.
2. Dip one side of the bread slice and let it soak in the mixture for one-two minutes. Then flip over and soak the other side.
3. Put about a teaspoon- teaspoon and a half of olive oil in a pan, over medium heat.
4. Transfer the bread slice dipped in the mixture and fry for about 2 minutes on one side or until golden, and then flip over.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting, I really appreciate it!