Saturday, July 13, 2013

Work experience at a hospital

Only the most fashionable footwear for scrubbing in a surgery.
I know that some people are quite surprised when they hear I want to become a doctor. Why not become a baker/chef? Train at Cordon Bleu, become some kind of macaron-ier? Don't get me wrong, but, as much as I love baking and cooking, I don't think that's my life ambition. I love to do it as a de-stresser, and it's really more of a hobby. I don't look at it the way pastry chefs look at it, I don't want to go down that path professionally. Besides, I'm a terrible cake decorator with little creativity. And another note: I don't want to continue growing side ways. 

So , I did my work experience at a hospital. Work experience is part of the curriculum in year 10, and you choose somewhere (and depending on acceptance, availability) to work for one week.

I loved working at the hospital because 
1. The people who I worked with, were incredibly nice to me! I learnt so much within 5 days, they were so willing to teach me, and explained a case thoroughly or why this is so and so on. 
2. I enjoyed interacting with patients. I felt really good talking to patients, and really made me think that I would love this aspect of interaction in the future, which is one of the main reasons why I want to become a doctor. I'm a people-person really.

I received a minimum wage of $5 a day, and you know what, while that's laughable, I really do not care about the pay at all. And I'm saying this genuinely. My friends were telling me that I should be getting paid more, this ladela nonsense, but really I'M DOING THIS FOR THE EXPERIENCE. I'm so grateful I even got this placement at one of Melbourne's best hospitals. When I received my acceptance letter,I was literally squealing, because it was unexpected (knowing that hospitals have limited places). And heck, I would've even done it for free. For a hospital to allow a student like me, to observe surgeries and interact with patients? I don't think there's a price tag on that. 

Yep, I know it's not going to be an easy road for the next few years, but I'll just work my butt off and hope for the best that I can get into med school! If I can't, well that's too bad. I just really want to do something medical or science related. 

You can go and read my article on the Huffington Post! Btw, there is a slight mistake because it says that I did it 'a week ago', but I had submitted the post to the editor after a week.

Hope you enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting, I really appreciate it!