Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Simple peanut butter cups


I remember the first time I had a bite of Reese's peanut butter cups. I was 12, and my eldest sister, had just come back from her trip to New York. She bought 2 packets of the mini cups. Guess who finished a whole packet in one day?

They sell Reese's at some candy shops like Sweet As in Australia, but they aren't the best buy. 2 bucks for 1 packet, containing two peanut butter cups.

So today's recipe, I say, could be just as good as the original. Actually, I might even like this one better.


There are several recipes online for home-made peanut butter cups like this one. Some recipes call for powdered sugar, light brown sugar, butter, this and that. However, I'm not really fussy, and just prefer to melt the peanut butter by itself , and add some biscuit crumbs! It gives it a really good crunch. I used digestive biscuits, which can be considered as an equivalent product to the American Graham crackers.

Whenever I make these, I never measure out the ingredients. These are just rough estimates, but you can up or lower the amount however much you want. You can't mess up, since it's a no-bake treat and it's depending on how much peanut butter filling or chocolate you want. You can make these into regular muffin-sized cups (jumbo peanut butter cups!), or mini cups.

Simple peanut butter cups

Yields: Roughly about 10 mini peanut butter cups. 

Ingredients
4-5 tablespoons of peanut butter (I used crunchy)
3/4 cup choice of chocolate (dark, milk or white. I used dark.)
1/3 cup of crushed biscuits/cookies (any type of biscuit e.g Graham crackers, digestive etc)

*optional - sea salt to sprinkle

1. Melt some of the chocolate using a double boiler, over the stove or microwave in a heat-proof bowl.
2. Take a spoonful of the chocolate and coat the muffin case.
3. Put the chocolate shells in the freezer for 15 minutes, or until set.
4. Microwave the peanut butter for about 30-40 seconds, and combine with the crushed biscuits. The texture will be like a paste.
5. Evenly put spoonfuls of the peanut butter paste into the muffin cases. Freeze for another 5-10 minutes.
6. Melt the remaining of the chocolate and fill the cups until the top. Return to the freezer, for about an hour until set.
7. When ready to eat, let it sit on the counter for half an hour until room temperature.


Coat the muffin liners with the melted chocolate. Put in the freezer until set.

Make the peanut butter paste and then spoon the mixture into the chocolate cases. Put in the freezer for an additional 15 minutes.

Microwave the remaining chocolate, and fill the chocolate cups. I sprinkled some sea salt on top. Put in the freezer until set.


17 comments:

  1. Love this recipe! Will be linking back to this in my upcoming post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, let me know about the post :) Would love to see it! Your blog is amazing.

      Delete
  2. These look very inviting. Shall make some with my favourite dark chocolate for Easter. Thank you for recipie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Let me know if you make them :) They are incredibly easy to make and taste so good (esp with dark chocolate).

      Delete
  3. I created this sweet and is wonderful and add 1/3 cup almond powder thank you very much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problems, glad you like it! Almond powder sounds very nice.

      Delete
  4. what is crushed biscuits? what would the equivilant be in the USA?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for not being very specific, but it's just any type of biscuit of your liking, crushed. I used what are called digestive biscuits which are kind of like oat biscuits, or the equivalent of Graham crackers! Hope that helps :)

      Delete
    2. The British say "biscuits." We Americans say "cookies"!!! :-)

      Delete
    3. Haha yes indeed! Australia follows the British system with spelling and a lot of our food names are like 'apple crumble' instead of 'apple crisp', as Americans say. But yes, what I really mean are cookies like Graham crackers, any sort of packaged cookie/biscuit (or if you made them yourself).

      Delete
  5. what type of chocolate? Baking choc. or choc. bark?

    ReplyDelete
  6. can you be specific about what type of chocolate? Baking choc. or choc. bark?

    ReplyDelete
  7. can you be specific about what type of chocolate? Baking choc. or choc. bark?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! You can use any chocolate really, but for taste I would recommend good quality dark/milk chocolate. Baking chocolate may result in a slightly softer texture, but what I like to do when I make it with regular/real chocolate, is bring our the refrigerated peanut butter cups to room temp to soften it.

      Delete
  8. I can't believe how much fun these were to make, and in no time at all. I have always had issues with peanut butter candies going stale, but no chance here. Just keep in the fridge, if they last that long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you like them! These are also so much better for you because you know what goes into them, and in my opinion tastes more delicious :)

      Delete

Thank you for commenting, I really appreciate it!