Sunday, June 9, 2013

Easy lemonade scones


This is the easiest scone recipe you will ever use. Thick and fluffy, perfect for an afternoon tea.
4 ingredients (though lemonade is made up of a few ingredients and there is egg yolk for glazing) and bam. Plus this doesn't use any butter or refined sugar, sooo I'm going to pretend like these are not too bad for you....

Lol jokes aside, my mum has been making these for years, and each time without fail, there's been one warm scone, sandwiched with a dollop of whipped cream and strawberry jam in my mouth.

I love the addition of raisins, and the texture is amazing. These will make people impressed (like my piano teacher), and would certainly be suitable if you're hosting a high tea party :) I haven't done that before believe it or not, but that is on my to-do list hehehe

I also made a video. It's my first time, so excuse my video techniques. Not quite sure what went wrong with the video quality (looks a bit pixelated). I just did this for fun and really enjoyed the process of it.

OH and the best feeling ever is that I'VE FINISHED MID YEAR EXAMS! Don't know why this year I binged a lot on junk, a lot more than usual during exam period. But I am trying to run off the excess weight :P
My mid year exams went quite well, although I don't want to say too much yet. You know how you want to say that it went great, but then you kind of just don't want to jinx it? Yeah. That's how I feel. But anyway, I have Monday off (Queen's birthday), so what a perfect long weekend! I have a Japanese cheesecake post coming up soon, so look out.

What is your favouite thing to eat for afternoon tea?

Lemonade scones
Ingredients:
325 g self-raising flour *
2/3 cup (170 ml) cold lemonade
2/3 cup (170 ml) thickened cream/heavy cream
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
* Egg yolks for the glaze (also optional, but I like to give it some colour )

* It may be possible to use plain flour and add some raising agents (baking powder etc), but I have not tried that before. I'm also not sure with the unit conversions for the U.S standard, so just convert it.

Method
1. Preheat oven to 225 degrees C/400 F (I preheated mine to 200 C)
2. Sift flour into a large bowl. Combine lemonade and cream in a cup.
3. Add the lemonade and cream into the sifted flour mixture, and gently fold ingredients.
4. Add raisins and combine together. Do not over mix, otherwise this will result in tough scones. The dough will be soft and sticky.
5. Place the dough on a lightly floured bench and spread dough and roll it out to about 3.5 cm thick (about 1.3 inch) and use a shaped cutter or a knife to cut the dough.
6. Place scones together close together on the tray so they are touching. Glaze with egg yolks on the top.
7. Bake for about 12-15 minutes (however I found that about 20 minutes was desirable otherwise I would've had under-cooked scones), or until pale golden and cooked through.
8. If you like scones to have a soft crust, cover them with a tea towel for a few minutes.
9. Serve hot or warm up in the microwave later.

Adapted from All recipes

2 comments:

  1. My favorite thing to eat with my afternoon tea is a simple orange cake. Am also a huge fan of white tea, which I think pairs great with orange cake. Your video looks great btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum! I love tall tea cakes with fruit! Thanks :)

      Delete

Thank you for commenting, I really appreciate it!