Saturday, June 1, 2013

Brown butter chocolate chip cookies - last post before exams


You've heard it before... 'The best ---- EVER' and so on, and please know that I really do try to avoid using that title in my posts... Because is there really such thing as the ultimate 'best'?


But I think a lot of readers and bakers can agree on this ridonculous-butter-involving cookie is arguably , probably one of the best chocolate chip cookies ever.

I have tried the New York times cookies, but I didn't use bread or cake flour, so I have yet to make those again.. I will definitely be making those sometime soon.. But for now, I'll stick with these.
The original recipe calls for Nutella in the middle, but I was a bit lazy to freeze the Nutella and wrap it around in the dough. I made a cookie dough batch, rolled it into 24 separate balls and the remainder is in the freezer. So midnight cookie craving... This is dangerous.

These should be sprinkled with sea salt, but I forgot! The sea salt would give it a nice touch, and I've always been a huge fan of a sweet and salty combination (like my pretzel brownies and salted caramel)
Yes, these are undeniably unhealthy, but if you're going to have a cookie, you might as well eat a good one! A real chocolate chip cookie has loads of butter and chocolate... No substitutes.

A lot of my taste testers have asked if I put some toffee or salted caramel or something in the cookie, and well, it's due to the browned butter. But don't worry, it's not overly-caramel-ly (is there even such thing?)
It's possible to eat a few in one sitting. So make these as gifts to give away, because your friends will love you and beg you to bake another batch of cookies.

This is my last post before exams coming up this week, so I won't be posting for a week and a half! I'm taking a short break from studying right now and using that to blog :) I gotta ace my first bio exam on Monday! And then conquer the rest of my other exams like a nerdy Asian (too stereotypical I question?)
These cookies really help me get through studying.Warm, chocolatey chip ooey-goeey cookies with a glass of cold milk are my weakness. What is your weakness?

 Brown butter chocolate chip cookies
* Makes 2 dozen 
Ingredients
2 and 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 and 1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 sticks (1 cup or 226 g) unsalted butter
1 and 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
1 and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp Greek yoghurt
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips *
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips

* I used only 1/2 cup chocolate chips because I ran out! I used dark and milk chocolate chunks, which I prefer because it's more melty and chocolate-y!
* If you want to add the Nutella in the middle, head over to Monique's blog to see the tutorial

Method
1. Whisk together flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl and set aside. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat, and it will begin to foam. Make sure to whisk consistently. After a couple of minutes, the butter will begin to brown on the bottom of the saucepan, and continue to whisk and remove from heat once it begins to brown. Set aside to cool for a few minutes.
2. With an electric mixer (or by hand), mix the butter and sugars until combined. Beat in the egg, yolk, vanila and yoghurt until combined. Add the dry ingredients slowly and beat on low-speed just until combined. Gently fold all of the chocolate chips (although I chilled my dough for a little while before adding the chocolate chips because it was a bit warm. If your dough is really warm from the browned butter, and you add the chocolate chips, IT WILL MELT! So be aware!)
3. Chill your dough for 2 hours or more in the fridge.
4. Once dough is chilled, measure about 1 and 1/2 tbsp of dough and roll into a ball. Place dough balls on cookie sheet. Flatten the tops a little bit.
5. Bake the cookies 9-11 minutes until edges of the cookies begin to turn golden brown (although maybe my oven is crazy, but I baked them for about 15 minutes because 9-11 minutes was too underdone!) . Cool cookies on sheets at least 2 minutes and then transfer to wire rack.

Recipe adapted from Monique

4 comments:

  1. Good look with your exams! I'm sure you'll breeze through 'em (; I love using browned butter, it tastes so good! I would never have thought to put salt on the top either
    From Emily x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily! I just finished them today, they were not too bad thankfully :) Me too, I only started browning butter this year and it is my favourite thing to do with cookies. The salt on top would be really lovely.

      Delete
  2. These are probably the tastiest-looking CCCs I have ever seen! I can't wait to try making them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah, I hope you do make them because they are quite possibly the best chocolate chip cookies I've ever had! Let me know if you do, I'd love to see how it turns out :)

      Delete

Thank you for commenting, I really appreciate it!