Thursday, June 13, 2013

Raspberry and walnut cocoa brownies

Yet another brownie post, I don't think I'll ever get sick of brownies. Melting butter and chocolate with a hint of espresso is honestly so fragrant, and whipping up brownies on a late night is perfect. Midnight brownies I'd say. Although, the flavour gets better the next day, as does with any cake or brownie. The next day, it has developed its texture and your tastebuds will be screaming "Oh my goodness how did it get this good?"
Truth to be told, I didn't really expect much from these brownies because they use cocoa. But I decided to give it a go anyway, because I was curious. But, I added some raspberries which are perfect. Kind of reminds me of the flourless chocolate cake I made, except this is a brownie and is more dense. Put it in the fridge, it becomes fudge like!

After I ate one, I stood there for a moment and pondered. "This is good. Wait no. This is really good." I like the slightly crunchy top, and the fact that it's not too sweet (I used 3/4 cup instead of 1 and 1/4) and with the crunch of walnuts? It spells a-d-d-i-c-t-i-v-e.  I also like it straight from the fridge! 

Raspberry and walnut cocoa brownies
Yields 16 large or 25 smaller brownies (I used a 8 x 8 pan)
Ingredients:
10 tbsp (140 g) unsalted butter
1 and 1/4 cup (250 g) sugar *although I reduced this to 3/4 cup
3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp (65 g) unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Dutch-process)
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs, cold
1/2 cup (65 g) all purpose flour
2/3 cup (75 g) walnuts or pecans *optional
2/3 cup raspberries *optional

Method:
1. Preheat the oven to 325 F (although I just used 180 C). Line the bottom and sides of a baking pan with parchment paper.
2. Combine butter, sugar, cocoa and salt in a medium heatproof bowl and set the bowl in a wide skillet of barely simmering water.
3. Stir from time to time until the butter is melted, and the mixture is smooth.
4. Remove the bowl and set aside until the mixture is warm, not hot.
5. Stir in vanilla and then add the eggs, one at a time.
6. Then, add the flour and stir until you cannot see it any longer.
7. Add the nuts and raspberries if you are using.
8. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the centre is slightly moist with batter, about 20 to 25 minutes (however I needed to bake it for 10 minutes longer). Let cool completely on a rack. Smitten Kitchen's tip is to freeze it for a while and then cut it with clean lines. I did so, and it is a really good tip to get really clean cuts!

Adapted from Alice Mendrich via Smitten Kitchen

2 comments:

  1. de-stressing midnight baking :D
    yummy pieces :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe yes, definitely de-stressing. So easy to whip up at night and it'll satisfy your midnight chocolate craving.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting, I really appreciate it!