Follow my blog with Bloglovin
I wonder how the kids in Junior Masterchef did it. Especially the winner, Isabella. How did she just suddenly think of a good lemon cupcake recipe in under an hour? I call her a 'cooking prodigy'.
This is an extremely easy lemon recipe, it'll be my to-go recipe, especially helpful when I'm in a rush!
Lemon cupcakes: You need
- Lemon cupcake recipe
- Lemon curd (store-bought or home-made, as recipe indicates)
- Raspberry cream cheese
1 cup thickened cream/heavy cream (35% fat minimum)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 and and 1/2 cups self-raising flour *
Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
1 juice of lemon *optional
* I think you could use milk instead of heavy cream. I ran out a bit of heavy cream, so added a bit of milk.
* If you don't have self-raising flour, use plain flour and add 1 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp baking soda
1. Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F). Place 12 muffin liners in a muffin pan.
2. Place cream, sugar and eggs in a large mixing bowl, and whisk until smooth. Sift flour and add it gradually, along with the zest and lemon juice until the mixture is thick and smooth.
3. Divide the mixture between prepared liners and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
4. Cool in muffin pan for a few minutes, then transfer to wire rack.
1/2 cup lemon juice
100 g butter
1/2 cup sugar
3 egg yolks
1. Heat lemon juice and butter in a small saucepan, and simmer until the butter has melted.
2. Add sugar, egg and yolks and cook, whisking continuously until mixture becomes thick and glossy. Pour into a shallow oven tray to cool
Raspberry cream cheese frosting
42 g (3 tbsp) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 block of cream cheese (8 oz or 250 g), cold and cut into cubes
1 cup icing sugar/confectioner's sugar, sifted
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup raspberry puree- frozen or fresh raspberries, blended and then passed through a sieve. Add more or less, depending on preference of the raspberry flavour.
1. Beat the butter, icing sugar and vanilla extract together in a electric mixer, and mix until well combined.
2. Add the cream cheese, and beat for half a minute.
3. Add raspberry puree, and beat until smooth. Do not over-mix it, otherwise you will get a runny cream cheese frosting.
Use a sharp knife to cut a small tube/core, or use an apple corer in the middle of the cupcake. Fill with lemon curd. Then pipe the raspberry cream cheese frosting.
Slightly adapted from Isabella's lemon meringue cupcakes on Masterchef